RE: Europa-List: S01 Bushs and Spar Sockets

Subject: RE: Europa-List: S01 Bushs and Spar Sockets
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:48:05

Hi! Mike.( I tried to mail this to your direct box but the server won't
accept it?)
You have me a little confused with your positions of the sockets viz:- port
spar is on the port spa but is to receive the starboard socket and the
cockpit socket is to receive the port spa !
The principle of opening the hole to 1" where ever is to ensure that the
spa's can be pulled together snug with the 1/2" pins without needing to
deflect or flex the sockets.
The sockets are technically not a structural item only a rigging aid.( I
flew over the Alps with my starboard cockpit socket (receives the PORT spa!)
cracked off during rigging!)
Be advised to put a flox redux fillet round the perimeter of both sockets to
provide a more positive location for them all at the same time that you bond
them in place.

Now I'll tell you of something else I've done to mine ....since I knocked it
off whilst rigging alone.
Whilst I had it off I had a 3" starter guide ramp (1" light angle) welded to
each of the "ramps" and reduxed them also to the seat backs. Now when I rig
alone the vertical movement of the incomming spa is guided into the socket.
No need on the other one since the spar "cuff" in the middle of the port spa
does the starboard spa guiding.
If you intend doing much rigging /derigging alone this is invaluable.
(otherwise don't bother doing it because an assistant can give visual
directions)
regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG  Europa 337 MKI/Jabiru 3300 #084 300 hours approx.