Re: Europa-List: Wing to Fuselage Fairings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing to Fuselage Fairings
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:56:36

Rob Housman wrote:

> and if it is not a loose
> assembly then it will be nearly impossible to insert the wing root into the
> fairing without damaging the fairing.  Remember, there is an optional (but
> highly recommended) guide to align the wing spars fore and aft, but none to
> guide insertion in the vertical plane, or to restrict rotation about the
> spar, so you will be wiggling the wing up, down, and around to get it into
> place.

I constructed fairings, affixed to fuselage, with foam and BID.  Rigging
is not impossible, but admittedly the arrangement is not for frequent
rigging/derigging.  I use an adjustable dolly on casters, which if
adjusted correctly means that once the wing root enters the lips of the
fairing, alignment of the pins is automatic and it just slides into place.

I used 3 layers of cloth (2 outside, one inside), which seems to have
the proper flexibility in the lips of the fairing.  I also had to remove
the guides, since due to geometry on the way in they no longer worked
right.  An advantage is the ability to do a correct fairing back in the
area of the flap, to minimize interference drag in addition to better
aesthetics back there also.

Regards,
Fred F.