RE: Europa-List: Aircraft to get PPL

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Aircraft to get PPL
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 00:02:57

I have very little experience, being a low-time pilot, but I believe
that the Katana is the closest to the Europa in airborne handling. In
fact with the long wings, it was startling how it felt like a Katana
(adverse yaw and all). From my very limited exposure to Cessnas, I found
them to be much more stable (and truck-like ;-) than the Katana
especially when you start inputting rudder.

That said, I believe flying is flying.... I would hazard a guess that
the airborne handling differences between the common types are
relatively minor to a student pilot. At the time I started training I
chose the Katana because I found the handling "more fun" than the
Cessnas, and the great visibility was addictive.

Again, these are the only the opinions of a low-time pilot. I suspect
the more seasoned out there may have a different cut at it.

Cheers,
Pete