Re: Carb. balancing

Subject: Re: Carb. balancing
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:02:37
Roger Anderson wrote:

>     I have an old ASI, and I was wondering if this could be used to adjust
> carburettor
balance by repositioning the pointer to a mid-position and then connecting
it in place of the transfer tube - pitot to one carburettor and static
to the other. After all it is only equilibrium that is required - not a pressure
reading. Any comments on the feasibility would be gratefully received.

It's good theoretically, except the air pressure needed to move an ASI
needle is really minuscule - it will be about 25 times more sensitive
than the gauge depicted in the Rotax service manual. You'd need a pair
of really narrow-orificed restrictors - and exactly equal in size - to
dampen wild needle waggle, and possibly putting too much lag in the
system for a usable balancing instrument.  From what I've seen inside
several ASI's - long story short - repositioning the pointer and
defeating them "Rube Goldberg" multiple spring tensioners (actually
calibrators), it looks a bit of a challenge. But if indeed an "old
ASI," let us know how it worked!

Best,
Fred F.