Europa news #35 Fuel tank position

Subject: Europa news #35 Fuel tank position
From: ScramIt@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:30:47
Europa news #35 Fuel tank position Page 11.

"Contrary to only following the instruction in the manual, to set up the top
of the fuel tank 2 cm ( 3/4") below the cockpit module, check that a) the
wing spars do not foul the overhanging part of the tank and b) that the fuel
outlet stubs are not positioned too high to cause conflict with the pitch
torque tube."

(page 16-2 1 October 1999 Issue 2 Monowheel Manual)
It's not the TOP of the tank It's the BOTTOM of the tank that's 2 cm UP from
the underside of the cockpit module. With my tank and cockpit I don't need
packing under the top. With a piece of angle iron, two clamps, a small boy,
and a monkey, squeezing the tank too the upper surface of the cockpit module
I can just get the 2 cm. At this point the fuel outlet stubs are hitting the
torque tube. How can this happen you ask? Well, jump into the way back
machine and turn to page 13-6. Setting CS08 nothing told me to set the
distance between the front and back of the cockpit module to 323 mm. So with
the walls at some random distance apart I set CS08 to 5 mm. 5 mm turned into
around 3 mm when I got to page 16-2 and set the distance to 323 mm. This in
turn made my pitch torque tube several mm to low. I now have my controls
apart, holes filled with flox and I'm reinstalling my controls.

Things to make your life easier
1) Turn to page 13-6 and write 323mm between the front and back of the
cockpit module. Also remove any hi points where straight edge is going to go.
I used a piece of 1 X 6 as the straight edge. Clamped flush and holding the
323 mm measurement.
2) Turn to page 14-5 step 11 make a note With the spars installed trace the
spars onto the cockpit module with a marker. Measure the total height of the
combined spars in several places and write the measurement on the cockpit
module.

Question: Is that 2 cm bottom of tank to cockpit measurement written in stone
or is there some play?
Say 1.5 cm total gap?

Thanks,
SteveD