Re: Charging and Alternators

Subject: Re: Charging and Alternators
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:13:43
One possibility is that, on some modern alternators (certainly on the Bosch
Compact range) the regulator will cause deliberately a higher regulated
voltage at lower ambient temperatures. This is because, chemically,
lead-acid batteries require a higher charging voltage at lower
temperatures. The variation in regulated voltage with temperature is about
-10mV/deg. C.
At the recent ambient temperatures in the UK (5 to 10 C), a regulator
putting out up to 15v would be just about within spec. If you have a
flooded cell battery then overcharging will cause it to consume water;
However, the alternator assumes that the battery is kept under the 'hood'
in close proximity to the alternator regulator. If your battery is in the
'boot', then this set-up will tend diminish the possibility of
overcharging.
Did you have your top cowl off when you made the measurements?

Duncan McF