Re: Metallic paint

Subject: Re: Metallic paint
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:02:36
Excellent comments.  Our eyes will indeed deceive us.

My business is manufacturing small optical components for high-end infrared
cameras.  While searching for good IR absorbers I came across one article
that included the properties of various materials and paints that contained
a real surprise - for certain paint formulations both white and black were
good IR absorbers.

Because it is too easy to exceed the aircraft structure's glass transition
temperature from solar radiation, it is foolish to use any color other than
white (as recommended by Europa Aircraft) unless there is empirical evidence
to demonstrate that the other than white paint is safe to use.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070