Re: Metallic paint

Subject: Re: Metallic paint
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:50:31
 11/12/2002 09:50:34 AM

Unfortunately our eyes are a poor judge of paint when it comes to thermal
absorption.
Remember that almost all thermal energy absorbed from sunlight  is  from
the infrared range which we can not see.  A particular "silver" paint may
look "black" in an infra red image.  This may vary by manufacturer and
paint formulation.  Therefore even the chart in the construction manual can
be misleading without the specific manufacturer data provided.  White paint
seems to uniformly safe, but who knows, is there is one out there that just
loves to absorb IR  ;-)

Ira   N224XS  XS Trike MG

PS Please note my new EMail address!