Re: Fwd: Remote GPS antenna

Subject: Re: Fwd: Remote GPS antenna
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:59:26
irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am building it into the roof of the instrument module itself
> as I see no particular reason to string it into the rear of the
> fuselage.  Is there any evidence, or anecdote that the GPS
> needs to be remote?  I have tested it with two stainless plates
> approximating
> my through the firewall access panels, but have not put the panel
> with the antenna in the fuse yet.

The explanation for any such anecdotes would have to be proximity to
noise sources, avionics and spinning motors.  GPS receiver sensitivity
is typically -135 dBm, like around 20 times more sensitive than any
other receiver in an aircraft. Plus another bad phenomenon where the
noise source is underneath the antenna.  It is also a function of the
square of the distance - inversely, so mere inches count.  I'd like to
try mounting it in the space inside the right side "shelf."  There
would be some blockage of a satellite down toward 30-deg from the
horizon off the left side, and fwd thru the prop, but years of GPS
navigating seems to conclude that those sats - which GPS wants for
best 3-D, leaving 2-D working just fine, are practically useless (if
an altimeter is installed!).  But still near to ignition noise
though.  Has anyone tried that?

Regards,
Fred F.