Re: Instruments (again)

Subject: Re: Instruments (again)
From: Dean Wiegand <dwiegand@surewest.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 11:32:37
Richard,

For instruments in the US, the other postings are
right, shop by catalog, have them shipped to your temp
address in Colo., then take them home.  Depending on
the size, quantity and value of the items you order,
you may talk the supplier into discounted or free
shipping & insurance.

By federal regulations, there is NO sales tax on items
shipped over state lines to the customer (if the
business has no presence in the "ship to" state), so
the trick is to find a supplier closest to your state
but not in it (to reduce the shipping cost).
Unfortunately for your trip to Colo., most of the big
supply houses are on the West Coast or in Florida.

I live in North Central California (100 miles East of
San Francisco), so that means anything I purchase from
Aircraft Spruce (near San Diego) has shipping AND tax
added (just under 8%).  So I shop the ACS catalog
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/main.html and order from
either Chief Avionics http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ or
Pacific-Coast Avionics
http://www.pacific-coast-avionics.com/ since almost any
of the big avionics & supply houses will match any
internet advertised price and these two in Oregon are
about the same shipping distance from me as ACS.

So, shop the internet for best price and contact one of
the big supply houses, have them match prices then
discuss shipping and insurance discount for the size of
the order.

If you do decide to order and have shipped to you,
remember that there can be shipping delays around the
holidays.

Dean Wiegand
Sacramento CA
kit A259 (if it ever leaves UK)