Re: Aerobatics in general

Subject: Re: Aerobatics in general
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:26:16

> On a fully inverted airplane system, the fuel is drawn from a tank with a
> flop tube in it, really just a piece of hose inside the tank with a
> weighted end that flops to whatever is the lowest point in the tank no
> matter which way the aircraft is oriented.
>
> For fuel metering, a fuel injection system does not care which way it is
> positioned, neither does an Ellison Throttle body carburetor, or the old
> PS-5C pressure carburetor. Neither of these have a float chamber.
>
> The oil system also needs a device to assure the pump is not unported.
Most
> lycomings use the Christen system, which is a ball check valve system
> mounted to the firewall at the height of the oil pump and connected to the
> pump intake. Then there is a suction line going to the bottom of the oil
> sump, and a second suction line going to the top of the case so when the
> engine is upside down it provides the oil to the pump. The check valve
> prevents sucking air from the opposite suction line.
>
> I have always wondered though, in inverted flight, how much oil is
covering
> the back side of the pistons and being sloshed back and forth rapidly,
must
> be like a washing machine in there!
>
> Hope this helps explain the concept.

Sure does, thanks!

The fuel system idea is simple enough, but the oil system is a bit more of a
puzzler.  As you say, it must be like a washing machine in there, doesn't
the extra weight of the piston (being filled with oil) have a huge effect on
power output?

Have you by any chance got any diagrams of an invertable oil system?

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - +44 (0)7050 645590
europa-builder@ntlworld.com