Re: Drag cross brace installation

Subject: Re: Drag cross brace installation
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:08:55
Jim,
I don't feel comfortable countering Nevelle's experience, especially as I have
not put the top on yet and determined if there will be any change in the wing
settings.  While learning of his concern gives me cause for pause, my fixture
and fuselage was rigid.

I would surmise that the problem would occur if attempting to take the twist out
of the fuselage when bonding on the top.  My canoe was straight as measured
across the stab area, however the verticle fin on the top half was off about 2
degrees.  I have corrected this by correct placement of the rear bulkhead splash
of Graham's mod, and allowing a less than perfect overlap of the joggles on the
fuselage halves (trimming one side slightly, 1/8" of joggle exposed on other
side. The objective being to not transfer any twisting loads to the canoe.

Having said the above, I'm going to consider having my wings on when I bond the
top on, and recheck the incidence.

Cleve Lee
A198 Mono XS
Detroit, MI

> Cleve,
>
> Can you give a little more detail on Graham's mod?  Is this the mod to make a

> splash for the top of the counterweight bracket?  Every time I've spoken to
> Nevelle about doing the wing setting prior to bonding the top on, he's been
> adamant that the top needs to be on to ensure rigidity and so the wing
> settings don't change.  His position is the extra time and difficulty is
> nothing compared to wings improperly set for ever!
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim & Heather A185

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!