Re: Tri-gear vs. Mono wheel debate

Subject: Re: Tri-gear vs. Mono wheel debate
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 23:06:34

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony S. Krzyzewski" <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>

> >> It seems from these letters and conversations that the monowheel is a
> bit of a handful on the ground.  >
> Who said that it's a handful?
> I have now had the pleasure of taking five potential Europa builders for
> their first monowheel experience. Without exception each of them
> commented that they had been told that the monowheel was difficult to
> handle on the ground and each of them subsequently commented that it
> wasn't.>
> Making the transition to any taildragger from a trike requires practice.
> It doesn't make any difference if it's a Piper Cub or a Europa monowheel,
you have to remember that handling a taildragger requires a whole new set of
skills to be learnt. It's not difficult, it's just different. >
> One thing that taildragger pilot's are unanimous about is that learning>
to handle a taildragger has made them a better pilot. There is less> margin
for error when handling a taildragger on the ground so you end up> having to
unlearn all of the sloppy techniques you get away with in a> trike.
> I for one have made more greased landings in the Europa Monowheel than I>
ever did flying PA38's, 172's and 177's. I find the monowheel an
> absolute delight to handle when the wind gets up a bit and it's certainly
a lot easier to handle than a Piper Cub or taildragger Colt in windy
conditions. With the proper training and proper practice the> monowheel is
everything that Ivan said it was (and more). >
> In the Europa fraternity we have the best of both worlds. The debate of
> mono v trike will go on forever and neither side will dominate the
argument as each has valid points. The only thing that really counts is the
great big smile that features on so many Europa pilot's faces after each
flight. Tony"

Bravo! Well said, and thank you! I look even more forward to D-day!
Ferg
A064