RC Allen Gyro

Subject: RC Allen Gyro
From: Erich D Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:48:39
Hello all.  Here is an update on my RC Allen Gyro dilemma.  I sent an
e-mail to Kelly Manufacturing the parent company of RC Allen over a week
ago with no response from them.  Today I decided to contact them via
telephone and here is what I learned.  Yes, the instruments do need to be
exercised regularly or it is possible that the bearing lubricant will
pool/collect on one side of the bearing which could result in premature
bearing failure.  They do not provide any documentation with the unit at
all.  They did however, agree to fax me a D size drawing with the
dimensions for panel cutouts and the wiring pin outs.  That's it.  No
operations or owners manual.  They only produce an overhaul manual which
they provide to FAA approved repair centers.  I was advised to bench
check the unit and determine if it is operating properly.  Or as an
alternative I can send the unit to Kelly for testing at a cost of $210
U.S.  plus any cost to repair the unit (no price quoted for the repair).
I expressed my dissatisfaction with them for not providing any
documentation with the unit as I may have unknowingly damaged the unit,
which has never been used, due to their unwillingness to provide
paperwork with the units.  I don't think this did any good.

I was informed that the unit takes up to three minutes for the gyro to
come up to speed.  The unit is self erecting which will take up to an
additional 7 minutes for a total of 10 minutes.   The user can, after the
gyro is up to speed, cage it prior to it self erecting if one needs to
get airborne earlier.

I will bench test my unit here in the next day or so.  Keep your fingers
crossed.

Regards,

Erich Trombley
A028