Passing through the firewall

Subject: Passing through the firewall
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:19:50
Message text written by INTERNET:DJA727@aol.com
>I am starting to run wiring now and wondered if there is a preferred way
to pass wiring through the firewall? I know what is done with metal
airplanes, but not with composite airplanes.
<

I used a total of 5 multipin connector plug and sockets supplied by
Digikey. The grouping was as follows:

3 pin high power - +12v panel, +12v standby power for essential services,
panel ground
3 pin medium power - VP prop connections
Multi pin low power - Engine sender connections
Multi pin low power - Airframe engine compartment connections
Multi pin low power - Thermocouple connections

The standby power provides redundancy should the main panel fuse blow.
The airframe and engine connections are split to ease engine removal. The
engine socket can be unscrewed from the firewall during engine removal so
that  the engine loom can can stay on the engine.
The thermocouple connections are kept seperate with the plug/socket join
aft of the firewall so that the cold junction is away from the hot air in
the engine compartment improving accuracy. The small access hole in the
firewall is covered by an overlapping stainless sheet panel with a grommet
in it for the cables.

The first 4 connectors are grouped on the port sideof the firewall so that
they can be accessed through the aperture of the removable subpanel.

Perhaps this will give you a few ideas for your own panel.

Nigel Charles