Europa: Flying: Runway length

Subject: Europa: Flying: Runway length
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:22:57
I agree with Barry and Andy and would also stress the important issue of
initial climb when the aircraft is loaded. (conditions are:
hot/high/humid/calm). For me this means generally, that takeoff is more
of an issue for consideration than landing.

In 'climb critical' scenarios I've had one hand on the combined
undercarriage lever, performing a progressive withdrawal of flaps as
soon as the aircraft is safely airborne and up to speed.  NB. I'm not
advocating this technique as standard practice !

Nevertheless, I've been caught out (overestimated the climb profile!) on
a number of occasions over the years. Even with raised flaps, the climb
can take a few seconds to become established.

Runways with a slight uphill camber, high trees/obstacles a few hundred
metres from the threshold, humid days with no wind or tailwind (many
private strip takeoffs are a compromise of wind direction and runway
slope), rising ground on the take off line...... all have a significant
bearing on the performance of my loaded aircraft.

I would say that (for regular operation) a clear approach line at either
end of the runway is as worthy of consideration as basic runway length.

Obviously, the aircraft characteristics are not unique. Efficient,
streamlined airplanes don' t need an excess of power, and an 80hp Europa
pilot needs to be keenly aware of how performance can vary, according to
the prevailing conditions.

I see huge variations in climb performance using my fixed pitch, Warp
Drive prop. I can't comment on the degree to which higher power and
variable pitch propellers mitigate against this.

'IMHO', it's vital to consider this issue when assessing runway
suitability.

Alan