Re: connectorisation.

Subject: Re: connectorisation.
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 18:31:17
Tony, all:

The welding cable idea is a good one, but is 16mm
2 welding cable truly
equal to
4AWG aircraft cable, or even #4 welding cable?  I'd appreciate someone
finding
the error in my logic.

item                                    diameter    cross-sectional area
ohms/1k ft.

4AWG cable                        0.204"     0.03278 in
2
0.253
#4 welding cable, 420x#30    0.01*     0.03298 in
2                0.249
16mm
2 welding cable            ?           0.0248 in
2
0.33

I assumed that 16mm
2 welding cable has an area that's really 16mm
2, not
something weird like the "circular mils" dimension that AWG uses, and I
estimated its resistance from the area ratio.  Looking up a standard AWG
wire table, 16mm
2 cable looks like something slightly smaller than 5AWG.

Of course, I may be splitting hairs...

Shaun