Re: Bundling of coax cables

Subject: Re: Bundling of coax cables
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:03:17
David:
            Squelch is achieved by the com[arison of two voltages. One is
the voltage of the 'noise' on the frequency. The other is the voltage of a
received signal. When the latter is heard, the receiver sets the squelch
datum to just below the received signal voltage level. Since the signal is
stronger, the noise is below datum and not heard. If the noise level is the
higher voltage, then one sets the squelch to a higher datum (and all signals
below that datum are not heard).
                What I believe is happening is that because of a poor
antenna connection/design/siting, the signals received are of too low a
voltage datum to overcome the natural background noise level.
            In amateur radio, this function is adjustable (on FM where it is
most valuable) by two settings - (a) positive voltage datum calling for
quiet in background, and (b) negative voltage setting lowest received signal
level. However in AM, the receiver probably has an 'automatic' comparator,
and one may only set the background level for cutoff.
That's why you get the signal if you back off the squelch which mixes noise
with the signal. (In FM, the loudest signal captures the receiver)and by
design automatyically silences the background).
                This leads to the conclusion that you (and probly Harrison)
have a less-than-ideal connection somewhere which limits the strength of the
received signal, knocking it down into noise level.
            I have led a "interference" committeee for ham radio and our
experience is that 99% of the trouble originates with coaxial fittings. Most
do not comprehend the need to affix these fittings EXACTLY as prescribed,
That is, the fittings when properly attached create a continuous 50-ohm
impedance from antenna to receiver detector. Use TV fittings (70ohm) or
pressfit or poor soldering, or stray starnds and one will experience an
impedance "bump" which greatly attenuates the signal, but not the noise. Old
fittings sometimes let in moisture and copper components corrode, bumping
impedance or cutting circuit entirely. Also communications (vs.
entertainment) "coax" may be low quality or poor coaxial screen coverage
(minimum 95% screen). Low quality coaxial connectors is next on the list
(buy only the best brand lines from proper sources) and antenna
design/siting comes next.
            Depending on the design, the antenna should be sited at least
one wavelength from adjacent antennas/lines. At 125MHz, this is 2.4 metres,
although many designs can accept 1/2 wavelength separation.
If your antenna is a halfwave dipole (a popular model on the Europa - up the
rudder closeout usually), it needs greater separation on the sides, much
less on the ends - but then it's usually aligned vertically and there ain't
much room left above or below. If it is a quarterwave vertical (about two
feet high), this design needs a 'groundplane' or metal disc about the same
radius, properly separated and at right angles to the vertical element. You
will see these on aluminum aircraft as the skin provides the groundplane.
there are other designs of course.
            My first instinct in both your cases is that a poor connection
presides somewhere in the anteena delivery to the receiver. try a different
receiver if you can borrow one, and place it in exactly the same fitting as
the original. If that is better, your receiver is at fault. Either put your
radio on someone else's fitting and compare results. One may need to try
several to achieve a better signal/noise ratio as poor antenna paths are
more prevalent than ever. If the result is better, then your installation is
at fault. Another second test is to rig up an alternative antenna to compare
with yours. Again, a better result points to installation faults. If
stymied, chase up an older ham from the local club - each one usually has an
old hand at antenna design/siting and might just rise to the occasion - it's
a quandry they enjoy confronting often. I'll scare out the local club if you
wish. No charge - that's what amateur means - non-commercial.
            I may be 'way off base, but my experience tells me I'm not.
Best of luck (and don't listen to Harrison).
Happy Landings