RE: Powder Coating

Subject: RE: Powder Coating
From: ScramIt@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:19:35
This is the kit I bought:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42802
The Eastwood system is there also.

Hi Pete,
> Interesting.... I didn't think it was feasible to Powder coat DIY.
What's DIY? You can coat anything that with take a charge.

>Isn't there an electric charge applied?
>What were the special equipment required (besides the oven)?

>Is the gun unique to powder coating?

Yes, the system is unique to powder coating. The gun comes complete with
power supply.
Other than that you need a good exhaust fan. During the cure process the
fumes can get quit strong.
The oven has to be electric, the fumes may burn with an open flame.

>A239 (deposit is down.... Now to get the garage ready :-)
Ahhh, the garage. Sanctuary, Mine went from a two car storage dump that you
couldn't walk a straight line through, to a place you could live in. Painted
floor with industrial epoxy paint, soft rubber mats to stand on during those
long lay-ups, painted floor and walls, insulated, piped in a slop sink, piped
in a heat duct from the house, shop lights, electric stove, High volume
exhaust fan, small fridge, micro wave, cabinets from the old kitchen, peg
board, and pictures on the walls. A lovely place to while away the hours....

Good luck,
SteveD