Fuel system

Subject: Fuel system
From: tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:17:43
Following the fuel filter technical notice within the latest Europa newsletter

I had been considering a redesign of the fuel layout in my aircraft under
construction as it is based on a single gascolator.

We had an occurrence with ZK-UBD this week which has now confirmed my decision

to reinstate the dual fuel filter layout. I will also be keeping the gascolator

in its existing position at the lowest point of the fuel system prior to the
aft mounted 914 fuel pumps.

Halfway across the Firth of Thames, a 10nm mile wide stretch of water close to

Auckland, ZK-UBD gave one gentle little cough. Ten minutes later and close to
shore there was a pronounced spluttering from the engine. The tank selector was

changed and the engine carried on without a problem for the ten minutes
required to put it down at our home airfield. Examination of the main filter
showed that it was completely clogged... this coming only twenty hours since
its second 100 hour check.

Why it got so clogged we don't know as we haven't changed our fuel type since
starting operation of the aircraft. What we do know is that if there hadn't
been the option of changing to an alternate filter this would have been a
forced landing.

This afternoon I am adding a pair of filters in the fuel tank outlet lines on
my aircraft.

Tony