New builder - first time comment

Subject: New builder - first time comment
From: KandShill@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:20:34

Hi,

My name is Ken Hill and this is my first post on the forum even though I've
been monitoring it for several months.  I was a pilot in the USAF from 1968
to 1988.  Since then I've done very little flying, but for several years I've
wanted to own a plane.  So, last December I ordered a Europa (trike).

I had restored a '66 Corvette several years ago but I was uncertain how much
help I would need to build an airplane.  After talking with several
individuals I decided to attend the Flightcrafters Builders Assistance
program in Florida.

My kit arrived in July and I spent two weeks (6 - 19 Aug) at Flightcrafters
with Russel Lepr'e and Bob Berube.  I had received very good reports
regarding their program and I had high expectations when I arrived. To my
surprise my high expectations were exceeded.

My first goal was to develop the skills necessary to build a quality
aircraft.  Secondly, I wanted to accomplish as much as possible.  With
Russel's assistance I left physically drained, mentally overwhelmed and with
more work accomplished than planned (just what I had hoped for).  Thanks
Russel.  Since I had been following the chat on the forum for several months
I had many questions regarding potential mods (fuel system, console, finger
vs. toe brakes, canopy third pin, etc).  With Bob's technical advice I was
able to make informed decisions on all mods and gain a great insight
regarding flight instrumentation and engine installation.  This may be
starting to sound like a paid advertisement (which it is not) so I'll close
with this --- Thanks to Russel and Bob, I had a great time, got a lot
accomplished and learned much about building a Europa.  My only regret is
that I didn't have another week or two to spend working on the plane.

There are others I must mention.  To Dennis Vories & family --- thanks for my
initial Europa ride. Your kindness in going out of your way on the day after
Thanksgiving to give me a ride was greatly appreciated.  Your aircraft sets
the standard.  To Terry Seaver and David DeFord --- thanks for sharing your
time and info with me.  I look forward to flying with you guys in the future.
 To Gary Stout --- thanks for the flight while I was attending
Flightcrafters.  Your turbo trike (including the pearl paint job) is exactly
what I plan to build.

If I can be of help to others on the net, I live in Pleasanton Ca. and my
phone # is 925-484-0975.

A214
Ken Hill