RE: With regret

Subject: RE: With regret
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:37:39
Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
"David Glauser" <david.glauser@xpsystems.com>

The difference is in who you allow into the group. A closed group such
Forum allows anyone to join. Spammers join groups just to harvest email
addresses. I joined two groups using a new email address, never used
anywhere else. Within a month I started receiving large volumes of spam
at that address. If you make the group settings such that the archives
are not visible to non-members, and try to restrict membership (don't
allow someone with an email like gybawzax432@hotmail.com) you might do
OK. In any case, I recommend using a free mail service such as Hotmail
abandoned.

David

****************
[ I normally post forwarded messages verbatim, but it would perhaps help if I
added
here that Europa-Forum on Yahoo is a closed
group.  Membership is controlled by a moderator, currently myself and another
committee
member. The membership list does not display
full email addresses and coulld be reconfigured to make the membership list
visible
only to the moderators.  It is listed in their
directory, to attract new potential builders or operators.  The natural thing to
do is to admit all comers (like the Avnet List
does) and to expel misbehavers.  Perhaps a compromise is to have a
publicly-listed
group which is used by the moderator to screen
new members before admission to the real group.

The real issue is the potential leakage of email addresses by other means than
joining the group to look for them.  JFC]