Magneto Safety

Subject: Magneto Safety
From: Gregory Mike <M.J.Gregory@cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:58:18
While the subject of magneto wiring is fresh in people's minds, it seems a
good opportunity to remind everyone of the safety aspects. Please remember
that the magnetos are live at all times when the circuits are not grounded.
This may include the engine installation phase, when the wiring to the
switches has not yet been completed, and during maintenance if the magneto
leads are disconnected. Remember also that the return springs cause
unconnected Rotax carburettors to be left in the full-throttle condition.

For example, if the magneto switches are mounted on the main instrument
panel the circuits would have to be disconnected whenever the panel were
removed. For this reason, a separate sub-panel is recommended for these
switches, to allow the magneto circuits to remain undisturbed during main
panel removal. Whenever the magnetos have to be disconnected, it is good
practice to short-circuit the magneto leads until they are reconnected,
especially while the propeller is mounted.

Fly safely

Mike Gregory
Europa Club Safety Officer

PS If this should provoke discussion of any further Safety points, I shall
be happy to join in after I've returned from Sydney on 7th September.