Re: Throttle Cable Considerations

Subject: Re: Throttle Cable Considerations
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 21:40:22
Hi, John.  Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but thanx for posting
it.  When prelim info in U.S. is published, it's often not very
informative and sometimes hint at pilot error.

The kinking of the inner cable sure seems a function of how fast you
push forward.  I know one can train one's self to move it slowly, but
that won't guarantee the same reaction in an tight situation.  Meaning
a fix is best?

There are Teflon-lined, (multi-strand) cable assemblies that don't
expose the inner cable, but rather are inside a tube that both
articulates and slides inside a larger one.  Cannot kink.  Surgery on
the fiberglass housing would be necessary, as also attach hardware
both ends.  84" long, 10/32 threaded ends, is about $32; cut it in
two, but guard against unraveling the inner cable.  Some fancy work
involved, but it might be advisable?  I have a Oshkosh Fly Market
sample, and they're almost zero friction, just a bit heavier than the
kinky ones we have.

Regards,
Fred F., A063