Re: : monowheel tyres

Subject: Re: : monowheel tyres
From: David Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:01:47
From: "F X Connell"
> My concern is with the monowheel tyre.
> I have seen no reference at any time to tyre blowouts on landing or to
> overnight deflation .

I have now had 3 tyre deflations. One while taxiing, one overnight while
away in France and on while preparing for a first flight of the day.

The one while taxiing was at my normal base and with my trailer and fuselage
dolly I managed to get it back home.

The second in France, we lifted the tail high into the air and placed a
support under the fuselage just aft of the mainwheel. When the tail is
lowered and weighted down, the mainwheel is off the ground.

The third occasion I again had my dolly available, and the whole job of
removing and then seperating the wheel, repairing the puncture and replacing
the wheel took a little over half an hour, although there were three of us
working on it.

Dave Watts G-BXDY.
P.S. Punctures are a way of life for me for some unexplicable reason. On the
road I probably average in excess of 5 or 6 punctures a year. I do cover
some 35,000 miles in an average year and some 75% of that is with a trailer
of some sort on the back, but it is still frustrating.