Re: Fuel Tank Vent

Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Vent
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 23:48:24
Along the same lines, I have the Mk 1 setup with the fuel fill on the
top, but no sight gauge.  I ran the vent line (1/4" nylon) up to the
area of the fuel filler, where there's a check valve at that high
spot, and thence back to the vertical fin via a T-fitting water trap,
accessible through the access panel for the trim servo.  The actual
vent is a chunk of 1/4" ali tubing floxed into a hole in the fwd face
of the fin.

The check valve is a nylon T-fitting, with the hex fitting on one end
plugged with epoxy except for a vent hole, and a little ball bearing
and spring from the junk box.  Turn the nylon fitting and adjust the
unseating pressure.  Its  purpose is to relieve any vacuum in the tank
should the vent line become plugged downstream.  The fin location
provides pressurized air in flight.  The motivation was this aesthetic
thing I have concerning an antler poking up from the fuse top.  Should
work, no?  Yes?  Elegant even? :))

Regards,
Fred F., A063