Re: OBAM Defined

Subject: Re: OBAM Defined
From: Fergkyle <ve3lvo@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:57:50
Dear Eddie and Sue:
            I quite agree that there should be a term which defines the care
and love that goes into an endeavour like building an aircraft. ....and
perhaps OBAM is it. But it's foundation is built on ignorance. Ignorance of
the language in which it is couched - English.
            One of its great qualities is the richness brought to it by
other languages - the Norse, the Celts, the Romans and so forth. The use of
the words comes from their ancestry. Thus most of our family connections are
basically Norse, and the bulk is handed down from the early conquerors -
Latin. To be ignorant of the source is to lose the meaning by misspelling it
or mispronouncing it - writing and speaking.
            Sorry for the diatribe, but I take great pride in being an
amateur - a lover of the job. I am an amateur radio licensee, not some paid
flunky who pretends to call himself a "professional", but a true
professional - one who professes publicly to live to the highest personal
standards he/she can attain - without taking money for it. That's an
amateur.
            A professional is not someone who gets paid for what he/she
does, but one who professes to do his/her best. Anyone who does not profess
publicly is a 'commercial' - thus there are very few professionals in sport.
They are either amateur or commercial, nothing more. One hears in the
advertising claptrap of 'professional tools', professional ballplayers,
professional this and professional that. Hawkers' hooey.
            How many amateurs satellites have been orbitted? The 40th is up
there now - is that amateurish? You bet your bottom dollar it is!
            So call it what you want, but be aware that ignoring the history
of language is destroying it. Let's not have any more "Honey I shrunk the
kids", deeeepo, leeesure, or newspaper rout. No more of the giant's labor,
vigor or odor. If it must change, make it take more than one stupid
generation to occur.
Evolution not revolution. I realise I'm putting Bill Gates and his Spelch
Ekker out of coin, but then that's only commercial.
            I'm finished now.
Happy landings
Ferg
A064