RE: Filling and SandingTechniques

Subject: RE: Filling and SandingTechniques
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:19:38
Hi! Andrew.
IMHO ! the best way to evidence any low spots is to get a mist matt black
aerosol of cellulose paint and speckle spray the entire surface. Then start
sanding again with a long wide spline board sander you will immediately see
all the minute low spots and blemishes. (Helps with all the white dust
somewhat in that it turns grey!!!) Then after you have done this a few
times,
refilling low spots each time, after you consider it's finished with 300
grit paper, take the wing out into sunlight and look across the wing to get
a light reflection and a really "pissed off feeling" then prepare to start
over! Two or three sessions of this should get you about there! The big
problem is having decided what standard you ultimately will accept.
Mine is now flying but every time I look at them I see another blemish !
Ask an auto finisher what is his worst task and he will say bonnet, then
realise a Europa wing equates to about three of those in a line and you are
expected not to see any joins !!!!!!  Ha! Ha! Ha!
Regards
Bob H G-PTAG