RE: Filling and SandingTechniques

Subject: RE: Filling and SandingTechniques
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:09:48
I am in that mode myself on the flight control surfaces.  The term is
not filling and sanding techniques it is: filling   sanding   filling
  sanding   filling   sanding   filling . . . . . . .
techniques.  I started out reading the small booklet that Poly fiber sends
out for the use of their product.  I am using their super fill and UV
smooth prime.  That was a good start on what grade of sand paper to use
etc. However, most if not all of  the education is obtained or earned
through the elbow grease and developing a feel for what it takes to get a smooth

surface.  After a few hours it "just comes to you".  I started on the
safe side and used the lighter grades of sandpaper (320) to see how they would

cut and smooth.  A nice surface is obtained but with a horrible amount of
labor.  That was to develop the "feel" however. Some what rougher
grades are to be used to smooth the "gross" filling operations
initially and then the finer grades toward the  end.

My flaps are now to my liking, nice and smooth, but not after becoming
acquainted and intimate with every little bump and ripple.  A woman should
be so lucky to have her curves carressed as those flaps were. Two fortunate
things occurred just before I started my effort.  Our EAA chapter visited
Phoenix Composites for our meeting. They are mainly a Glass Air builders support

group. Seeing one's reflection in the surface of the airplane gives a good start

to see what the best to shoot for is.  I also attended the small "Cactus
Flyin" out here.  Seeing several kitplanes in varying degrees of finish
allows you to see what you may get if you don't strive for the best.

I found it valuable to lurk around a large dedicated automotive paint and
bodywork supply shop.  There are many sanding blocks and implements that
upon inspection for yourself will lead you in the right direction. You could
probably glean some good information from auto body repair books, especially on

finishing curved surfaces.

I have found that a heavy 3M rubber palm sanding block is very useful in
many applications. Using a long strap of light sandpaper in a sawing motion
around the leading edgees gives a good finish.  A small vibrating palm
sander works good for the first shot after initial rough coats of the smooth
prime.  But what ever you do stay away from orbital sanders  or any
thing that looks big and powerful.

When every inch of your garage is covered in white dust and there are
white  footprints on the living room rug you will  know you are
part way there on the correct technique.

Steve Hagar

A143

Mesa, AZ