RE: Jabiru 3300

Subject: RE: Jabiru 3300
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:12:40

In terms of performance it is only a push if you dont intend to fly high,
or worse, hot and high.  Here in SoCal where it gets hot (and I mean hot,
not like the posting from the UK last week calling 28 deg C very warm  in
the desert 50 deg C is not unusual), and at some non-stop destinations where
the mountains are high, the additional weight and complexity of a turbo is a
welcome trade off.  Of course, this is still academic in my case since the
914 is still on the shop floor.

When the rep made a presentation (on the 2200) to Europa Squadron #1 I was
already committed to the Rotax so I did not pay too much attention to the
details, but as I recall the 3300 is slightly heavier than the 914 (easy
enough to verify).  The design appears to be quite robust and the big
aluminum parts are hogged out of wrought stock not made from castings, a
definite advantage from a strength of materials perspective but a more
costly method of manufacture.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070