Re: Oshkosh 2000

Subject: Re: Oshkosh 2000
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:07:48
Chris and Susan Beck wrote:

> As an overall comment on Oshkosh this year, I noticed a distinct lack of
> homebuilts of all sorts, and there were no Europas as of mid-day yesterday.
> It seems ever since they changed the admission rules to allow the general
> public access to the flight line, the homebuilders are staying away, which I
> can totally understand.... I do hope the old admission policy returns by the
> time our Europa is ready for Oshkosh.

Welcome to MoneyVenture 2000!  I think EAA views the public access
issue as also vital to it's future existence.  Traditional "EAA'ers"
are aging, and kits are changing the nature of the movement.  My
problem with the showplane area recently has been "ya seen one Lancair
(or RV-x, Kitfox, Glasair, E-Z), ya' seen 'em all."  Still a great
show, though.

However, U.S. homebuilt registrations are increasing rapidly, mostly
kits.
So maybe look for growth in the regional EAA fly-ins, fueled by the
need for "type club" mass fly-ins of the kit families.

How many U.S. Europa completions do we need for a viable type club?
Any volunteers for the grunt work involved?

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063, N3EU