Flox Flattening

Subject: Flox Flattening
From: Graham Higgins <ghiggins@norex.com.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 08:23:21

The best method for flattening the flox over ribs (IMHO) was shown me by
Hank Kauffman, the first to fly in Australia, ( aka Bart Henks in NZ
apparently). I had tried several other ideas, and found this the
simplest and easiest. It is easier on the flat, but still works vertical
- with a  stiff mix.
 Mask the edges, apply a stiff mix flox  to just overfill, and use the
plastic squeege as a screeding board, as in screeding concrete. Forget
the plastic - I found that more trouble than it was worth. If you look
like you have Parkinsons Disease with the sideways tremor, as you slowly
advance along the groove, it will be about right. As with concrete, the
surface tends to smooth and liquify. If you advance too quickly, it will
tend to underfill, and too slowly, or let too much build up ahead of the
squeege, it will tend to overfill and working vertical top to bottom
will tend to underfill and bottom to top, overfill.
Practice on some scrap. It is not as hard as it sounds. However, it is
true that the stuff shrinks, no matter how perfect you leave it.
                           G N Higgins in OZ