Re: Spar Guide Dimensions

Subject: Re: Spar Guide Dimensions
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 08:19:09
Steve Genotte wrote:

> I'm about to order some Nylon sheet to make a pair of spar guides.  I'd
> appreciate an idea of what their final dimensions are to make sure I
> don't order to little.

Hi, Steve --

I used 1/8" inch thick x 3/4" phenolic angle stock
I found for $ .25 at my favorite surplus junk
store.  The length is not critical (about 1").
The reason for the angle bracket is that the
vertical part of the bracket prevents the spar
---From sliding aft of course, and the horizontal
part lifts the spar so the pins line up with the
blocks.  Phenolic bonds better than nylon.  Also,
since the spar is angled on the bottom edge, I
shaped a little flox on the spar's bottom edge so
she'd be more horizontal there, which even better
helps the pins meet the blocks right on the money.

You could duplicate this with 3/4" phenolic and
cut and grind, or bond some 1/2" stuff onto a 1/8"
base.  Or just use aluminum angle, and face it
with thin phenolic sheet if desired, I suppose.
Nothin' magic about nylon in this application!

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063