Re: Overhead panel

Subject: Re: Overhead panel
From: DaveBuzz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 03:34:39
  as an alternative to consider, I fitted the headset jacks in the panel,
outboard of the engine instruments on pilots side and outboard and about two
inches back from the tray lip on the pax side.
Headset cables run along the sides and are completely out of the way for both
occupants, also nothing dangling for unhindered access to the bags in flight.
best of all, no extra wiring and connections and cables to lay in place,
everything hardwired into the panel.
Just covered the overhead panel with headling material, I installed a 3.5mm
jack and 12v car type 'ciggie lighter' socket in the panel, to plug in a
portable cd player when needed, wired into the intercom.
Overhead panel air vents: i know several people who have tried these, and
standard naca type vents will *not* work. You need to add a scoop at least,
but even this may not give adequate airflow unless there is an exit vent at
the rear of the cockpit. For best results make a large scoop to divert air
down into the cockpit, through 'eyeball' type vents for directional control;
probably just cut a 4x1" hole, hinged at the rear and with a screw or lever
adjuster.
chus, dave
g-bxum

 >I would be very interested in hearing about what various builders have done
 >re the overhead cockpit panel.  I'm not very keen on headset jacks there,
 >since I think that the cords would be less in the way if the jacks were in
 >the headrests.

 I have the headset jacks at the aft end of the overhead panel. They get on
 my nerves because every time I move the cable drags on my shoulder strap.
 I'd like to know what the verdict is on jacks in the headrests.
 Not so sure about cutting a vent in the roof. It would be hard to keep the
 rain out.
 Graham >>