Flap Closeouts

Subject: Flap Closeouts
From: Nigel Hutchinson-Brooks <nhb@netspace.net.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 00:19:23

Hi All!
There were some messages in the last few days about how to
cut that pesky slit in the first two layers of bid to allow
for the insertion of FL1 or FL3 in the flap closeouts.  Very
timely as I was all jigged up to do just that task a day or
two later.  Our solution required two pairs of hands, but
consisted of laying up the first two long plies in the close
out, and then having one person holding a flat wooden
icecream stick, (ie miniature  tongue depressor) very firmly
on the inside of the precut slit in the flap.  The other
person used a new one sided razor blade with a reinforced
back edge to cut along the middle of the two plies through
the outside of the slit.  Worked like a charm in just a few
seconds, and the flap levers, coated with a thin layer of
flox, slid in perfectly.  The other ends will be closed out
next weekend.  Hope it goes as well.  Cheers.  Nigel H-B.