Electric Fuel Pumps

Subject: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: Ben <sales@fernhursttvr.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:50:36

Sometimes my electric fuel pump although "chattering happily"appears to be
incapable
of self priming.  If the engine is cranked (and the mechanical pump is used)
for a few seconds the electric pump  then primes and thereon maintains pressure
unaided.  One wonders therefore how good it would be in an emergency.
Fine perhaps for take off and landing when it's activated while the mechanical
pump is working.  But what about in flight when the mechanical one dies while
the electric one is off???   I became alerted to the problem because I have a
low pressure warning light.  G-IBBS had a very similar problem but he has no
light and only became aware because he was trying to use the electric pump to
drain his tank.  Again cranking the engine appeared to prime the electric pump
and brought it back on line.  Anybody any thoughts, suggestions or similar
problems?
Neither of us have air leaks or blocked filters and both have the "full
flow" fuel system.

 Ben   G-BXGG