Broken link on landing light image . .

Subject: Broken link on landing light image . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 20:48:17
Several people wrote to say they couldn't see the image
at http://www.aeroelectric.com/4352.jpg . . .
It's been fixed (unix/linux machines CARE if you
use upper case or lower case in file names! Sorry 'bout
that.

This lamp is quite compact . . . is a sealed assembly so that
the reflector stays clean and bright. It's also a modern haolgen
lamp that has a MUCH longer life than most landing lights offer
for aircraft. It's only about 2-1/2" tall which might
make it attractive for leading edge installations.

Several folk were concerned about heat . . . to be sure,
a 50 watt lamp puts out MOST of its energy in heat . . .
however a halogen lamp puts our a higher percentage of useful
energy (light) for total watts input compared to the
1940-1950's lamps on most certified ships.

Further, since we're talking in terms of 50-55 watt lamps,
the heat problem is less than HALF that posed by mounting
a 100 watt lamp from a Cessna.

The automotive lamp is pretty attractive from a heat
handling perspective because it sreads the forward radiated
heat over a larger surface area than a 50W round lamp
such as the EXH. In either case, dealing with the heat
output of these modern lamps shouldn't be a big deal.

Dee and I just got back from the SW Regional Flyin at
Abilene, TX (used to be in Kerrville). Gave two forums
and made plans for both forums and workshops next year.
Even picked up a nice tailwind for part of the return
trip . . . first time I've ever seen 145kts on the GPS
in the C172XP!

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)