Trailer questions

Subject: Trailer questions
From: Grahamclk@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:06:50
Perhaps I should clarify my trailer message a bit.  I have never had the
tyre/wheel actually  leave the ramp while towing. The probability of this I
guess is near to zero. But not much vertical motion is needed for it to lift
far enough for the arm to come down out of line with the ramp edges with
obvious damage and insecurity if not noticed.  A quick and secure method
would be to add a 3/8" dia. steel rod  right through the ramp sides and the
u/c arm, but there are stress implications to be calculated before this could
be applied. Europa ?

To avoid continuous abrasion of the dies of the u/c arm, many have  bonded
replaceable Alu. angle pieces to the contact area on the arm.

At low tyre pressures the overlap can be increased, but on the 912UL conflict
then appears with the exhaust pipe.  At high pressures there is low overlap
and the ramp is difficult to close. You can virdtually check your tyre
pressures this way but these two limits might be a problem if you adopt
alternative tyres.

G-EMIN