RE: Substitute filler

Subject: RE: Substitute filler
From: Allen Peter <Peter.Allen@auspost.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:07:59
Jon Goldenbaum of Polyfiber demonstrated the Superfil system at Avalon last
February here in Melbourne.  I was conducting the Composite Construction
Workshop for the SAAA in the same Marquee so I was able to talk with him at
length and work with his products at various times over the week.

Very impressive.  Easy to use and it gave a very smooth finish.

One point Jon Goldenbaum made was that for the best result you had to use
the complete system.  That is the Polyfiber filler, UV protection, top coat,
paint, finish the whole 9 yards (or should that be 22 yards).  At any rate,
it seems that you can not just use the filler and then go your own way.  The
reason given was that the new products are chemically different to the "old
style" systems.  Use the new generation this, with an old generation that,
and the results may be disappointing.

Now this might just be the standard sales speak to try and sell the whole
range of Polyfiber products or that they are just unsure as to how it will
react to other products.  Either way it is a consideration.

I was very impressed and I would encourage everyone to at least have a look
at the system.  But it was expensive and it seems you have to be very
careful about what other products you use with it.

Ian Robson said

My colleagues and I are at the end of constructing the first stage of an xs
model, and were thinking of using the superfill filler produced by
Polyfibre,  as opposed to the standard filler supplied by the factory. We
saw it at the Cranfield PFA rally and it seemed pretty impressive. Does
anyone have  experience of the system, or hold  views on substituting the
material?

Tony k  then said

 It is marvellous stuff to use. Not cheap but does the job beautifully. Jon
Goldenbaum of Polyfiber gave a very impressive demonstration of filling a
Europa wing a Cranfield and had most of the work done on one side in two
days. I managed to fill, profile and sand a stabilator side in three hours
work with Superfil. Their primer and top coat are great to work with as
well.

Tony