Re: Approach Trim

Subject: Re: Approach Trim
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:42:18
Nigel Hutchinson-Brooks wrote:

> John,  I'm not sure if my comments will help.  I've just started
> building a Europa in Oz, and I have had two flights, two landings, in
> Europas recently in England , both flown by others.  So no significant
> Europa experience.  However soon after I got my CPL some twenty years
> ago I got some work doing short scenic flights in Warriors, C172s and
> Muskateers.  I would spend all of one day making every landing a power
> off, another day short field, another flapless, another regular
> landings.  Great practice and the pax didn't realise  they were paying
> for me to get loads of experience in all landing configurations.  For
> my total hours I have heaps of landings.  From that I developed a
> standard approach and landing drill that I have found works for every
> aircraft type and in all forms of landing, from Aeronca Champs to two
> place Pitts in tailwheel, and from C152s to Barons in tinnies.
>
> Turning final I trim the aircraft about four pounds nose UP, and hold
> positive forward pressure all the way down final, to keep speed and
> attitude just right.  Maintaining this pressure makes one very
> conscious of everything the aircraft is doing, because one is really
> flying the plane rather than let it slide down final in neutral trim.
> When I get to the flare, I just relax forward pressure, and with a few
> circuits in any aircraft type, you can judge it so that at neutral
> trim, at flare speed, the aircraft is perfectly trimmed already for
> the touch down, and you can concentrate on any crosswind component, ie
> dealing with only two axes instead of three.
>
> As the wheels touch you keep the the stick or column slowly coming
> back, which in a trike will keep the nose wheel up for as long as
> required, and in a taildragger will hold the three point position
> without relaunching.  I have found this works for every aircraft type
> in all conditions, and results in fair to reasonable landings every
> time.  I presume it would work in the Europa too.  Unfortunately it
> will be two or three years before I can really check it out!
> Best Regards,  Nigel H-B.
>
> Baker, Dino (FMC) wrote:
>
>      Hello All,
>
>      After 150 landings (and takeoffs), some not too good, I have
>      tried various
>      trim settings on base after extending flaps. I was trimming
>      for neutral feel
>      on control stick ie. no load. This was usually about 2
>      divisions nose down
>      as for takeoff.
>
>      After trying various settings I have settled for 3 divisions
>      nose down on
>      approach. This gives more load feel to the stick and is not
>      so sensitive,
>      with less oscillations on the flair.
>
>      I will appreciate any feedback from flyers who are willing
>      to try it.
>
>      Regards
>      John Baker #181
>Cheers:
        Like John, my Europa experience is virtually nil, but since 1948 have
flown a few aircraft in the interim, from L1011s to the Mooney Mite.
        Preparing for a manoeuvre by presetting trim is good planning, but must
be considered separately for each aircraft. This may not apply to the
Europa, but it should be thought out in advance, and practised. The
reason I give is that to trim for flare, or 'hold-off' in a Lysander is
to ask for swift revenge. Some aircraft are slow to trim, and this one
in particular - while manual - cannot be flown OUT OF TRIM; it is too
powerful.
        If one were unexpectedly required to go 'round at flare the aircraft
would probably be out of trim - and that's no time to be retrimming! In
a Lysander (the worst example I've seen), one must trim 1/3, apply
power, trim 2/3, change attitude, trim fully for overshoot, retract
flap, and retrim for climb.
        Now that's not the case with the wee Europa, but remember it has
electric stab trim. I suggest a bit of the following:
        Establish the correct trim for overshoot at the required speed. Mark
it. Acquire the correct trim for approach speed. Mark it. If the 'marks'
are far apart, set approach trim and practice both landing and go-round
in that trim. If that's uncomfortable, reset trim toward overshoot and
retry. When you have the happy medium, mark that and set that in the
downwind/crosswind check every time. Of course, C of G and aerodynamic
changes will modify the setting somewhat but only little. Also be
familiar with the time for trim change to take effect. That will be in
the back of your mind on every approach.
        Perhaps this is a BIT fastidious, but every airframe is different.
Don't set trim from some rule of thumb without care.
        Happy landings!
Ferg (#A064)