Re: Approach Trim

Subject: Re: Approach Trim
From: Nigel Hutchinson-Brooks <nhb@netspace.net.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:22:58

John,  I'm not sure if my comments will help.  I've just
started building a Europa in Oz, and I have had two flights,
two landings, in  Europas recently in England , both flown
by others.  So no significant Europa experience.  However
soon after I got my CPL some twenty years ago I got some
work doing short scenic flights in Warriors, C172s and
Muskateers.  I would spend all of one day making every
landing a power off, another day short field, another
flapless, another regular landings.  Great practice and the
pax didn't realise  they were paying for me to get loads of
experience in all landing configurations.  For my total
hours I have heaps of landings.  From that I developed a
standard approach and landing drill that I have found works
for every aircraft type and in all forms of landing, from
Aeronca Champs to two place Pitts in tailwheel, and from
C152s to Barons in tinnies.

Turning final I trim the aircraft about four pounds nose UP,
and hold positive forward pressure all the way down final,
to keep speed and attitude just right.  Maintaining this
pressure makes one very conscious of everything the aircraft
is doing, because one is really flying the plane rather than
let it slide down final in neutral trim.  When I get to the
flare, I just relax forward pressure, and with a few
circuits in any aircraft type, you can judge it so that at
neutral trim, at flare speed, the aircraft is perfectly
trimmed already for the touch down, and you can concentrate
on any crosswind component, ie dealing with only two axes
instead of three.

As the wheels touch you keep the the stick or column slowly
coming back, which in a trike will keep the nose wheel up
for as long as required, and in a taildragger will hold the
three point position without relaunching.  I have found this
works for every aircraft type in all conditions, and results
in fair to reasonable landings every time.  I presume it
would work in the Europa too.  Unfortunately it will be two
or three years before I can really check it out!
Best Regards,  Nigel H-B.