Stator Mod - Note 2

Subject: Stator Mod - Note 2
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 14:59:04
The saga of the stator mod continues:

The Locktite #222 ordered after examining the directions in the kit arrived
so I began the stator mod. The first question arose in locating the lock
screw properly. The directions say to rotate the flywheel until the number
impressed on it lines up with the opening in the surround; there are two
numbers on my flywheel and 3 openings in the surround.  The proper alignment
was found with the 4 digit number in the upper stbd opening. The locking slot
is easily visible through the lock pin hole per the directions. The lock pin
will protrude about 3/4 inch when the crank is locked.

In removing the bolt which secures the flywheel, an impressive torque is
required. I had to brace my foot against the engine mount to get sufficient
leverage using a 16 inch handle.  Using full body weight on the handle was
not sufficient.  The flywheel puller worked well, producing a loud bang when
the Locktite on the shaft released.

As the crowning touch, the replacement stator supplied for my 912S seems to
be the wrong one. The pins on the end of the replacement unit's red wires are
1/8 inch circular connectors while the installed stator has small flat pins
which look identical to those used for the connectors which go to the
ignition switch.  There is no part number on the replacement unit. The only
notable difference (other than the connectors) is that the replacement stator
has a black dot of paint at the 6 o'clock position.

Others about to start the stator mod would do well to open the ignition
connector and compare connectors before removing the engine to verify that
the proper replacement stator is in hand.  Probably should try to verify that
the proper flywheel puller is supplied also since this is another place where
things could go awry.

In my opinion, it would be extremely difficult to change the stator without
removing the engine from the airframe in the Mk 1 Europa with standard engine
mount.  So far, it seems that it will be possible to make the change without
removing the engine mount from the engine.

John    A044