Re: ANR Headsets

Subject: Re: ANR Headsets
From: VP4SkyDoc@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 04:52:38
I use telex ANR's in the Cessna's and Pipers I fly.  Although the engine
rotation is slower and louder in the Cessna, it is the prop that causes the
low frequency noise that gets canceled out.  The headsets also work well in
the P-3 Orion to remove the prop noise.  I dont see why it wouldn't remove
the rotax prop noise too.  The good quality mike is also excellent, but it
gives such a powerful (although clear and noise-free)signal that I have
problems with needing different squelch settings for my passenger who uses my
old headsets.  I do notice, though, that the $100 cheapies I bought as a
student do a better job of passive attenuation of the higher frequency
sounds.  If I plug my telexes into my stereo at home (with the ANR turned
off), I get better sound that my usual stereo headphones (also cheapies).
There is soft static audible anytime the ANR is turned on in a quiet room,
but this cant be heard in a plane.

> Does anyone in the forum use ANR headsets in their Europa's

Dave Leonard