Re: Re: A light diversion. Sorry!

Subject: Re: Re: A light diversion. Sorry!
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 00:18:48

>Here's something I received at work earlier today.  Being a lover of the
>English language and especially its colloquialisms, I found this very
>enjoyable and hope some of you may also.  I'd be interested in hearing
>from our U. K. brethren as to their opinions of the accuracy of these
>items.
>Steve G.
>Life in the 1500s: (or "The Good Old Days")

I'd say it's pretty accurate Steve, however 1500? Thatched roofs still
exist and are thought to be fashionable. Galvanised tin baths didn't
disappear until the late 40s. 1940s that is. Go in a decent English pub and
you will see pewter (lead tin alloy ) tankards belonging to the regular
denizens hanging from the ceiling beams. The latter, of course are a pre
requisite for decent. As is warm beer. Same temperature as the barmaid's
armpits. One is reminded of a remark by a certain English beer conosser,
Nigel G, that it was not possible to decide whether a certain chilled
western imitation of a well known Slovak beverage had already been drunk or
not.
There is a problem with warm beer. If the landlord don't keep it proper it
can be awful. Chemicals are at least consistent.
Graham, how did I get into this? Too much red French plonk, perhaps