Talybont Trip and Figures

Subject: Talybont Trip and Figures
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 09:09:18

On Saturday 1st May, a hillwalking friend and I loaded FX to gross and
set off from Rayne farm, Braintree Essex to Bill Wynne's strip at
Tallybont
in Wales.

It was a warm calm hazy day (about 18 degrees on the ground). We took a
fairly direct route, via Audley End to Leamington Spa, south of the
Birmingham
CTZ and then directly over the mountains to Tallybont.

Bill, very kindly lent us a couple of mountain bikes, which allowed us
to cycle up
the very beautiful unspoiled valley which is his home, to the base of
Birds Rock
where we chained up the bikes and went for a scramble.

This is my second visit to Tallybont for walking. On the first occasion
we climbed
Cadir Idris. The approach into the valley offers spectacular views of
the
the escarpment and lake with the top of the mountains level with our
approach
height. Tallybont has to be one of most picturesque farmstrips in the
country, and
is well worth a visit, though expect a tricky final with unexpected
rotor a regular
hazard.

Bill provides _mandatory_ approach information by email
(bill@wynne.co.uk)
and the landing site is viewable at www.wynne.co.uk.

I also had another opportunity to recheck my figures for FX, a 'Classic'
(Mk 1)
Europa with standard 912 engine.

Here are the results, published below. They are entirely consistant with
my previous
results and give a good idea of typical cross country performance.

Classic Europa 912:          (80hp)
Conditions calm:               circa 18 degrees
Head/tailwind:                  < 5 knots. (Time out,  time back were
identical. 1 3/4 hrs)

Fuel capacity:                       83.7 litres (70 useable in main)
Total fuel used:                     55.5 litres (12.2 Imp gal)
Fuel useage at 4900rpm:        15 litres/hr.
Ground economy for trip:       35 mpg.

Total distance covered:          370 Nm (426 st miles) Allowance made
for course error.
                                            (2 landings and 2 take-offs.
Max height 2,900 ft).

Total time:                             3.6 hours in cruise (3.75 hrs
engine on -> engine off)

Power setting in cruise:         (4,700 - 5000 rpm)
Average speed for trip:         104 knots (120 mph)

FX has a 3 blade G.A. Warp Drive propeller set to over 18 degrees. Climb
performance
is 'leisurely' at AUW ! (4,800 rpm in the climb).

This confirms that FX averages between 105 and 110 knots on a typical
cross-country,
and has an endurance of approx 4 1/2 hours on main. (my tank is larger
than standard).
and 1/2 hr on reserve in an emergency.

Added note: FX is definitely a few mph (5) slower in the summer !!

Hope this is of assistance to any adventurous operators...
alan
--
Alan. D. Stewart

14 Goddard Way                     'phone : +44 1245 264186
Chelmer Village                    work   : +44 1473 607571
Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6UR          email  : alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk

            office email :  alan.d.stewart@bt.com