Re: Confused in Pitotville

Subject: Re: Confused in Pitotville
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:56:07
Hello Graham --

I agree the situation you describe is bad, but I hear a flight instructor
barking in my right ear.  I have 23 years in type and no clue what liftoff
speed is nor what ASI says at the break in a stall.  Relying on feel has
likely saved me on IFR flights when the pitot has iced up but good, so
inaccuracy doesn't bother me that much.  But I reread an old newsletter that
described the problem and about the tendency to increase indicated airspeed
while it was actually decreasing, and that is not good.  They didn't say it
was due to static location, though, so I hope you're right.  My problem is the
wings are done and the pitot tube hole (in the bad location) plugged,  I've
just been informed that a builder will try out pitot and static on the tail.
So I think I'll just cool it for a while--plenty of other stuff to do.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Fred Fillinger, A063

On 9/23, Graham Singleton wrote --

<< Innacuracy in the power on stall is unacceptable. Almost guarantees someone
will stall / spin struggling out of a short strip on a hot day. Don't do
it.>>

<<Go for the latest position, it is the only one which works throughout the
speed range. And yes, the fuselage static is not reliable, it has been
known for airspeed to apparently increase close to the stall.>>

Graham