Re: Vacuum v. Electric

Subject: Re: Vacuum v. Electric
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:27:05
>>Also electric gyro instruments are very heavy, much more complicated and
hence arguably less reliable than their windy counterparts.<<

Not always. Vac pumps are expensive unreliable and use power. The nicest
electric horizon I have seen was a super RC Allen B3  which weighed 2Lbs
including it's built in inverter.

For relieving the high workload of VFR (compared to IFR) flying I plan to
go glass panel. Moving map etc with flight instruments and engine
instruments on screen as required. Engine parameters will be monitored by
the panel, warning flags only when necessary. I know I'm supposed to scan
continuously but I don't do enough flying to be current. 1 or 2 hours a
week if I'm lucky.

The other bit of kit I have already is a Navaid. Stops the airplane
wondering off while I'm folding maps etc.

Graham