Re: Vacuum v. Electric

Subject: Re: Vacuum v. Electric
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 00:12:29

Hello Steve --

I considered IFR certification for my Europa but have since abandoned
the thought.  Things to think about --

1) If your IFR travels will be into cloud above the freezing level, a
BIG issue is how well the laminar flow wings will handle any rime at all.
And, not required for IFR, but a heated pitot is a necessity.  However,
installing one in a fiberglass structure (can't heat the glass and foam)
will be a challenge.  Also, they're heavy and suck amps.

2) You will need vacuum AH and DG, as you won't get IFR certified without
redundancy I believe. You are correct, though, in that a standby vacuum system
will be a problem (weight, again, and room to fit it).  You will see Europas
with
electric AH and DG (or just AH and vertical card compass) to avoid vacuum
completely.

3) Panel space is limited for redundant avionics. Personally, I would
not fly IFR in IMC with a single nav and comm, nor without a marker
receiver and glideslope.  Weather is generally better than forecast,
but in IMC when FSS is wrong, they're really wrong. and the additional
avionics are life savers.

4) Flying in even easy IMC in the summer increases the possibility
of lightning strike even if you avoid the severe weather.  But lighting
strikes on a glass structure can be disastrous (the certified Lancair
has lightning protection glassed into the skins).

5) If you will be selecting a Rotax engine, the power demands of the
above-cited items will necessitate a separate, beefier alternator, with its
weight and cost.

6) Love HSI's myself, but check the length including connectors.  The
limit behind the main panel in front of you is about 8.5 inches.

Just opinion, and you did ask for it, but in 20 years of not even that
much IFR really, I have had experiences that say there ain't no such
thing as light IMC nor IFR safety in an ill-equipped plane. Would take
at least a couple brewskis to tell you them all, though.

Regards,

Fred Fillinger, A063

On 8/9/98, you wrote --