Semina/filling/BMW

Subject: Semina/filling/BMW
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:22:40
=09Having attended the europa semina in Leicestershire a few weeks ago, I
am=0Asurprised
that no subsequent E-mail came out of it.
=09Once again it was a well organised informative event, and thanks must
be=0Aexpressed
to John and all who helped to make it work. The guest speakers were=0Amost
diverse, and not afraid to be controversial. We had two separate=0Apresentations
on finishing processes.
=09 Aircraft Coverings Ltd, from Somerset illustrated their new
(American)=0ASuperfill
epoxy which is supposed to be easy to use. with low hazard, and
none=0A=91blow-holing=92.
They also showed the roll-on primer, and talked about their
UV=0Aprotection system and their water based low hazard gloss finisher
which=0Aactivates
by the addition of a few drops of catalyst in the last coat. All=0Atheoretically
easy for us first time users. I=92ve had a go with the filler
so=0Afar and found it a thousand percent easier to mix ,spread and sand to a
decent=0Asurface
than the recommended method. It also seems to be much lighter.
I shall=0Abe interested to see if the rest of the systems as good as they say
they are.=0AThey are suggesting about three gallons for the europa. My guess
is that about=0Aone gallon will fill a n XS. About one hundred pounds I think,
but more than=0Aworth it. I would need to be paid five times that to consider
going back to=0Athe kitted stuff. If you want to try a quart, their phone number
is 01 963=0A363636.
=09warned against using anything but fresh epoxy for making the
recommended=0Afiller
paste to avoid problems later in the life of the aeroplane, then
after=0Astrenuous
efforts to get a perfect surface with filling and sanding, spraying=0Aon
a gel- coat ( recommended makers name available), and cutting and polishing=0Ait
back to  a finished surface. Sounds like incredibly hard work, but he
is a=0Aprofessional, and he has finished several Europas and even more gliders.
=09Apart from the very helpful panel building tips from RD Aviation , and
the=0Arequest
for guidance by a young naval pilot who is resigning from the service=0Ato
attempt to build a Europa and fly it round the world for a
millennium=0Achallenge,
the most intersting feature by far was the BMW engine controversy.
=09On the Saturday afternoon we had a presentation be the three gentlemen
who=0Aare
attempting to complete the gearbox/engine development. They were
clearly=0Afrustrated,
and probably under resourced. They felt that the product was good=0A,
but they were unable to carry out statutory flight tests, because they had=0Ano
airframe available. Result,- project stopped!
=09On the Sunday morning a presentation was made on behalf of Europa Aviation
by=0Atheir
managing Director. Adam.  Unfortunately his intentions to bring us up
to=0Adate with the latest corporate plans were overtaken by questioning about
the=0ABMW saga. It became clear that Europa have no intentions to support
the=0Adevelopment
further, nor were they even considering allowing one of their=0Aplanes
being released for any BMW testing. Clearly, their attitude is, if=0Aanyone
wants to have their engine/gearbox  approved for use in the Europa, it=0Ais
up to them to finance the testing. They seem to be satisfied that the
Rotax=0Arange
is OK.

Happy landings.....Bryan Allsop....UK 360=0A