Tri-Gear Nose Strut Recall

Subject: Tri-Gear Nose Strut Recall
From: Garry Stout <gstout@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:02:04
I have just found out that the Europa tri-gear nose strut has been recalled.
Apparently a German builder took a hard bounce, and the nose strut bent.  Upon
further analysis the nose strut was found not to have been heat treated by the
supplier, as per the factory's instructions.  The factory is asking all
builders to return their nose struts to England whereupon they will heat treat
it and return it to you.  Thanks, but no thanks.  If experience is any
indication we won't see the nose strut again for 3 months or more.

It is further disappointing that I didn't find out about the recall through any
notification from the factory.  Perhaps it is different in the UK, but in the
US there is no process or procedure to notify US builders of any recalls.  I
shudder to think that there might be a life threatening part failure, that I
was never notified about.  It pays to stay active on the internet and find out
what is really going on.  It might save your life!

Regards,
Garry
(813) 878-3929, TieLine 427-3929
FAX (813) 878-7976, Internet ID Gstout@us.ibm.com